TANE creates a backup of the "previous" route and/or session every time you click Save or Save As (or install or delete content or make any modification at all).
It is therefore possible to restore an older version of your route and/or session should your route become corrupt (or perhaps you just don't like the recent changes made).
The key here is that you are looking for the most recent backup copy that is earlier than when the corruption occurred.
- Take a manual backup onto disk/usb etc prior to initiating these steps
- Navigate to the backup folder in your local data folder
- Find the most recent backup (or one dated around the time you think you are looking for) and drag the folder into Content Manager
- Submit the Asset (since it will be Open for Edit when you import it)
- Right-click and Edit In Surveyor to check on your newly installed backup is the one you are after
Steps in More Detail:
- Make a manual backup onto disk/usb etc prior to initiating these steps
- Navigate to the backup folder in your local data folder (the path can be found looking in the Install tab of Launcher > Trainz Settings)
- The top level has the last 7 days activity in YY-MM-DD folders (this could be 1 day or weeks apart)
- Inside each daily activity folder is the list of backuped up content for that day
- The folder organisation is controlled by your Windows Settings
- If you know the time of the backup you are looking for, sort by time, or if you know the KUID, sort by Name
- Note that some backup files are "randomized" names, so you will need to search by date and time
- The backup folder contains copies of your own edits and files you have downloaded (anything that was updaed in the database)
- When you find a file that you suspect may be the one that you wish to restore, then drag the folder from the Windows Explorer folder into Content Manager
- An install log will be generated that looks something like the following:
; Will install from path: C:/Users/New/AppData/Local/N3V Games/TANE/80276/backups/16-03-04/kuid 39601 100131 abc
! Asset <kuid:39601:100131> is already installed.
+ <kuid:39601:100131> opened for edit
; Wrote <kuid:39601:100131> to disk
; Skipped commit for <kuid:39601:100131>
+ Installed asset <kuid:39601:100131>
- Click Submit Edits to submit the item to the database
- Click Edit in Surveyor to check on your newly installed backup to ensure it is the one you are after
- If this version is still corrupt, then you will need to go through the folders looking for an older version that is saved prior to the corruption occurring.
Handling TZARC folders:
- Sometimes the item you want to restore will be saved in tzarc format
- In this case, find the .tzarc folder in your backup folder (it will have a name like kuid2 438196 1187 1.tzarc)
- This could be a builtin item or 3rd party item
- We now need to drag or copy the .tzarc file using Windows Explorer into your "local" Folder that is in the same directory as your "backups" folder (this is the important part - you cannot drag a .tzarc file into Content Manager)
- Then click Launcher > Developer > Rebuild Database
- Once the repair has finished, review the restored version to check everything is restored correctly
Tags: corrupt, backup, back-up, submit, re-install, re-installing, version, route, session, restore, revert