User content is stored by default at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE (for TRS19, this will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\ ). This folder may grow to a substantial size over time. If required, you may specify an alternate location for storing your content:
These instructions apply to build 82340 and above.
MOVING YOUR DEFAULT LOCATION:
- Note the current location of your user content by opening the Launcher > Trainz Settings > Install tab
- Open Windows Explorer and create a new empty folder at the desired location (e.g. D:\TANE_Content)
- In the Install tab, click on the "..." button and browse to find your newly created folder
- Click Select Folder to change the path to your new location
- Exit the game and close all game windows
- In Windows Explorer, move your existing content into the new folder (see below*)
- Start TANE and check the Install tab to confirm that the path has changed and is correct and that everything is working.
- If your content is missing, or if a database repair commences, you have made a mistake and will need to re-check the setting above.
* Move all the files and folders from your original Local Data Folder (from Step 1 above) into your NEW folder created in Step 2
i.e. folders like backup, cache, etc plus assets.tdx and keystore.tdx.
This should leave the old content folder empty, and all of your content files under the new folder. You can then delete the old empty folder.
- DO NOT ever delete the C:\Users\<pc name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE folder (or C:\Users\<pc name>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19 for TRS19) OR the userdata-redirect-map.txt file in that folder. This file is required by TANE/TRS19 to ensure the Local Data Folder is found. If the redirect file does not exist, TANE/TRS19 will create a new one and create a new local data folder in the default location and you are back to your starting point.
- If a new unused /build xxxxxxxx folder is created in the default location upon restarting, you have not followed the steps correctly - please review the steps again.
- If you are asked to enter your username again, you have not followed the steps correctly - please review the steps again.
CREATING A NEW LOCAL DATA FOLDER
Sometimes your Local Data Folder can end up with corrupt data. In this case, the solution is to create a new folder which contains no 3rd party content. From there, you can then IMPORT your old content and work out which items may be causing issues.
- Open the Launcher > Install tab and check the path to your Local Data Folder. The default path is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE\build xxxxxxxx
- Highlight the full path name and use Ctrl-C to copy
- Close TANE (and check in Task Manager that it has ended - this may take a few minutes in some circumstances)
- Use Crtl-V to paste the path into Windows Explorer
- Go up one directory level and rename the folder by adding "-old" to the name (this effectively creates a backup for you)
- Open a NEW Windows Explorer window and create a Folder in the desired location (e.g. D:\TANE_data)
- Open Launcher > Trainz Settings > Install tab and browse to find your new folder (D:\TANE_data) then click Select Folder
- Close TANE (a message will appear saying the game needs a restart)
- Restart TANE and check your Install path is pointing to the new location.
- Click Start Trainz and wait for TANE to complete a database rebuild (this should only take a few minutes)
- Now your TANE install points to the new Local Data Folder at the new location.
NOTE: This process does not copy and of your local content across. To do that, follow this Importing Content guide (which will require that you create the Editing Folder prior to Step 1 above)